“Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.” John 17:17
I believe my God is perfect; omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. ~Selah.
I also believe that God wants us to have a relationship with Him because He loves us, His creation; (see John 3:16). That is why He gave us an instruction book to get to know Him better, because He knew we could not visit Him face to face in our present, mortal state. We often call this book, The Holy B.I.B.L.E. or as I have heard it put, “Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth”! Now, if I believe God is perfect it must follow that I believe His instruction book to be perfect from cover to cover. If His Word was so important and needed to be perfect, He would supercede all things to be sure that it was perfectly preserved.
I believe He can do this because He is God and my God is perfect. So, if there is a written authority on God then there should be only one correct one.
Following you will see what God’s Word says about itself in the plainest and simplest English terms:
- “Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.” Psalms 119:160
“The beginning”, in this verse would mean, when God began. God said about Himself, “I AM”! Therefore, He had no beginning. Forever would mean into eternity without end. This is because God is perfect and exists from everlasting to everlasting. If this is true, then so is his Word. It is as simple as that.
- “If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;” John 10:35
“The scripture cannot be broken.” However, beware! That does not mean the enemy will not place a counterfeit beside it to trip over. But, that does not mean the counterfeit is God’s Word. If it does not contain God’s words, it is not God’s Word!
- “The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.” Isaiah 40:8
“…the word of our God shall stand forever.” In fact, I believe we will be reading it in heaven, so, we better get reading the right one now!
- “The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.” Psalms 12:6-7
“…thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever.” I take this promise from God personally! Literally! It is a promise to me. So, if this promise is true then I believe God preserved, not a reasonable facsimile, not a counterfeit, but His perfect Word just for me…personally! You can make that claim too! It is written there for you as well as me.
- “But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” II Timothy 3:14-17
“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures”. Many times here in the store I have challenged people who do not read from the King James Bible to recite a verse from memory. Legitimately, these people have quoted the KJB nearly 100% of the time!. Sometimes they say it is not fair, that they learned it from the KJB as a child. Does this verse not say it all? Stay by the old paths, the Bible teaches!
- “But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.” I Peter 1:25
Guess which Bible has the power of the Holy Spirit! It will preach the gospel to your unsaved friends. It will encourage you, feed you, strengthen you. Only the Word that endureth forever contains the true gospel.
Friends, there cannot be more than one authority if God is perfect and meant for us to have an infallible instruction book. If there are so-called bible versions that contradict what God originally said, then those versions are wrong and should be treated as such. That is, even if there is one word out of place, one jot or tittle in Hebrew or in other words even one punctuation mark!
Not coincidentally, He saw fit to warns us of the punishment for adding or removing any of them from His Word. These verses are found at the beginning, middle and end of the bible. God clearly laid out what he said about his words. In fact, God said that he revered them above all His names!
So, what does God think about all of this? What do you think about the God that you serve? Or, do you believe that He is there to serve us? Do you really think he was not strong enough to inspire His Word and then preserve it even from corrupt minds of His creation? Think about it. God only spoke His Word once and therein can we trust. ~R.
© 2008; 2020 Remi Fernhout